CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Magic of Fenway

Reading Ted's posts (see the link to the right on the "Red Sox Dad") has taken me back a year to my first game at Fenway Park. I can't technically say that it was my first visit to Fenway, because way back in the year of the Subway Series (was that 2000??), my wife and I were in Boston one day during our whirlwind tour of New England, and we finally found Fenway. There were no tours at the time because of renovations or something, and it was October, so season was over. After I carressed the bricks on the outside, we walked up one of the sidewalks (I can't even remember what street) and one of the gates was up. There were a couple of old guys chatting inside, at least one of whom obviously worked there. After one walked away, the other guy looked at me standing there with my mouth hanging open and said, "Well, say something!" I just said, "Wow." He laughed and my wife explained that we were from Fort Worth, Texas and were up there for our anniversary, etc. He pointed up a ramp and said, "Just don't go on the field." I said, "Yes, Sir!!" and trotted up the ramp to the infield seats. I cried then, too. Took some pics of the stadium (Green Monster first, of course) and marvelled at how small the place looked in real life.

Anyway, so last year wasn't my first visit to Fenway, but I say it is my first official one, because we got to go to games there. Reading about Ted's first trip really brought back the height of emotion that I felt when I walked in there for the game last year. I had the pleasure of having my wife and kids with me. It's indescribable. And as I commented on Ted's blog, I did cry, and I'm not ashamed of it.

I wonder what it is about that place that causes that in people? Some would say that it's "just a baseball field." I would disagree. Maybe there's some magic there. Bill Simmons, the sports guy on ESPN, who wrote the book, Now I Can Die Happy after the '04 series, says Fenway is haunted. I haven't done any research on that theory. But, for cryin' out loud, look at the record! I was just looking at the standings while ago, verifying that our beloved Red Sox are, in fact, once again, the best team in the Major Leagues (Woot!!) and the only team, as of today, with over .600 percentage. I was astonished to see that their home record is 21-5! Geez! The only other major league team with that kind of home record is the Braves, with 20-5. What a lopsided home record, and, unfortunately, the Sox are losing on the road. But, with this 7 game winning streak going, maybe they can fix that on this West Coast trip. Anyway. There is definitely something spooky about Fenway Park. Wonderfully spooky, I might add. I love it. Ted loves it. Grown men cry over it. They will probably break the record for consecutive sellouts this year.

I could go on and on, but I won't. Mainly because you're probably tired of reading by now. Fenway is Magic. 'nuf said, as McGreevey would have said.

2 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

I almost feel gypped that I can't remember the first time I was in Fenway, because I was a kid, about 7 years old & just didn't really "get it" entirely. So I almost feel gypped. *Almost*. ;-)

Ted D said...

Bickley,

You hit it on the head, man. It's magical. While I didn't cry, I had goosebumps and the hair on the back of my neck was standing straight up.

Even in the rain, it was beautiful. Watching the games vs the Royals, it was great to remember where I sat and everything I saw.

I can't wait to go back again.