CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 31, 2007

White Night

If you were to look at my reading list of almost 1100 books that I have read since 1974 (how insane is that??), you would quickly see a pattern. Apparently, I'm a big fan of fantasy and science fiction. Authors who make repeat appearances on my list are the likes of Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Tolkien, yes, J.K. Rowling, Laurell K. Hamilton, Stephen King, Spider Robinson, and more recently, Neil Gaiman and Jim Butcher. I believe I have read everything Jim Butcher has written, at least fictionally speaking, as of last night. (I put today's date on my list, but I just realized I finished White Night last night.)

White Night is Butcher's latest installment of the Dresden Files, an ongoing saga of a wizard in a modern world. Harry Dresden helps the Chicago police investigate crimes of a supernatural nature. His best friend (he wishes there could be something more) is Karrin Murphy, who works for the Chicago PD. She used to head up the "S.I." division (Supernatural Investigations), but got busted down in the last book because of some activities of questionable legality.

In White Night, Harry and company discover that some ladies are being murdered in a way that looks like suicide. The catch is that all of the ladies have some kind of magical affinity. The ensuing investigation results in a grand finale of epic proportions as three houses of the White Court of vampires duke it out in an underground cavern with Harry as the guest of honor. It left me breathless.

All of the Dresden File books are well worth reading, if you are a fan of this genre. White Night is the ninth book in the series. If you want to start at the beginning, find a copy of Storm Front. It can also be acquired as an audio recording with none other then James Marsters, of "Spike" fame from Buffy, as the reader.

Next up on the reading queue (that's a fun word to type...you could get carried away...queueueueu...) is Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman.

TTFN, y'all

0 comments: